This is an apologetic or polemic (argument) about Christian salvation. It argues on a spiritual level – through the bible, and on a human level – through logic. The bible convicts; logic only points to the bible.
Jesus makes the following claims:
- John 10:30 “I and the Father are one.” – Jesus claims to be God and was even crucified for blasphemy (Matt 26:65) “…the high priest…said…He has blasphemed!…”
- 2 Tim 3:36 “All scripture is breathed out by God…” – God wrote the bible.
- Rev 22:19 “don’t add to or take from any part of the bible…” the bible is complete (Deut 4:2, Prov 30:6) and sufficient (2 Tim 3:16-17) “…scripture is inspired, profitable…adequate…”
- Rom 3:23 “…all have sinned and fall short…” everyone sins, all men.
- Rom 6:23 “…the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Sin earns hell. God offers salvation as a free gift of grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
- Eph 2:8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works…” Early Christians were known as “the way.” The way was grace through faith in Christ and not through works.
- John 14:6 “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.” He states He’s the only way – not “a way” but “the way.”
- John 3:17 “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.” God is a God of love and mercy. He died to save those who accept His gift.
So if someone claims to be God, and the author the bible, which He says should stand alone, and offers grace and faith as the only way to salvation, out of His love and mercy, He must be God, a liar or a lunatic. Any man who would make these claims, even a prophet, would have to be a liar or lunatic. If He is not deceiving or deceived, He must be God. So how do man argue against what Jesus says in the Bible.
- There are other ways to heaven – not according to Jesus who says He is the only way.
- There are other writings – not according to Jesus, God wrote the bible and said don’t add to or take from the bible – it is complete and sufficient.
- Sin is not sin if you don’t know – first, He says “all have sinned” and if you go 60 in a 35-mile zone, even if you didn’t know, you can still get a ticket. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse.
- Most people will go to heaven – not according to Jesus, who says “all have sinned” and the wages of sin is death” or hell (unless you accept his free gift.)
- What about all the other religions – there are only 2 religions – works (do good and don’t do bad to earn heaven) and grace (accept the gift of grace through faith and not through works.) Jesus says that salvation is only available by grace through faith or belief in Him.
- God must be bad to send people to hell. Just the opposite. Because of Adam, all men sinned and fall short with the wages of sin being death or hell. Jesus came and died in order to offer a free gift of salvation to all men who would accept it. Hell is for those who refuse this free gift.
If Jesus is God, He cannot sin, if He cannot sin, He cannot lie, if He cannot lie, all He says is true. If you don’t believe all He says, you must conclude that Jesus is a liar or a lunatic, and not truly God. If Jesus is a liar or lunatic, the bible He wrote is not reliable for salvation. It would have to be all or nothing because you would not be able to discern what parts of the bible are true and what parts are not.
If I believe in salvation by grace and I’m wrong because everyone goes to heaven, then I still go to heaven, so there is no penalty. If, however, you deny salvation by grace and you’re wrong, then the results are tragically different. Does it concern you that there is only one religion of grace, and all the rest are by works?